Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sketching

Damn, so it's been awhile since I updated this blog.  That's probably a good thing cuz I've been pretty busy with work ... paying work.  Unfortunately, the payments been taking a bit longer to get to me than I'd like, but at least I know I have income!  Getting paid to draw is seriously one of the better 'jobs' to have ... I can't complain cuz at least I'm not mining for shit 18 hours a day!  

Since completing my masters program in Dec 2009,  I've been freelancing full time.  I actually haven't had a 'regular' job since 2005 (about when I started my masters program.)  My commute now is roughly 10 feet from bed to work space.  Not bad.  But, I have to admit I get stir crazy sometimes.  I'm not holed up in my house getting all fat and pasty since I still run with my dogs and practice kung fu on Fridays, but I rarely see friends and have down time like I used to.  Spending so much time at home isn't healthy, especially since my two co-workers are two dogs and I feel my tenuous grip on social interactions is rapidly slipping away.  This month I've been trying a bit more to get out and get away from my table a bit more.  I've rediscovered the joys of sketching as well.  Sketching people, dogs, buildings or whatever has become relaxing for me.  Drawing with no purpose is a nice outlet.  The following are a few sketches from the past couple of months.  

WonderCon, this past weekend, was a blast!  I'll post some more of this next time.




4-1-2010 head study workshop with Craig Marshall, 20 minute pose

4-1-2010 head study workshop with Craig Marshall, 20 minute pose


3-21-2010 moto sketch session at Tosca's in San Francisco's North Beach area

3-21-2010 moto sketch session at Tosca's in San Francisco's North Beach area

3-21-2010 moto sketch session at Tosca's in San Francisco's North Beach area

3-28-2010 sketch after a 4 mile run to fort mason, san francisco


3-20-2010 early evening on a Saturday, nice lighting made some silhouettes out of the power/telephone(?) lines and it looked pretty cool to sketch ... oh yeah i was doing this in the car with my two dogs when i was backed into ... nothing happened ... but really wtf


random doodle - was thinking of Moebius

paul pope at the cartoon art museum (san francisco, 3/18/2010) did a quick sketch of the artist and he later signed it too!
3-19-2010   fridays are my one day i know for sure every week i will be able to leave the house/work - wing chun is a good relaxing/rewarding way to spend an evening ... i've been doing this for only 3 years, and the more i learn, the more i understand why things like this is called martial arts; - the principles are a lot like those of the visual arts 

anyhow, here's a few gesture sketches of one of the guys working on the wooden dummy

quick doodle during the premiere of The Pacific - i like war movies, not sure why but i like the silhouettes of soldiers