Monday, August 31, 2009

wow time flies ...

So it appears that the last time I checked in here was about 4 1/2 months ago ... it's been a real busy summer for school and work. That's a good thing for sure since if it wasn't busy, I'd just be wasting away! Anyways lets see ... a quick recap from May to now:

One of my dogs (Franco), was sniffing around my desk area and I assume that he somehow got caught up in the ac adapter wire leading to my external hard drive, and accidentally pulled the hard drive off the table and fell 3 feet to the hard wood floor - basically destroying the internals (I've tried to send it out for a data recovery with no luck. Of course, losing approximately 400 gbs of data hurts, but luckily I was able to find alot of my work that I've sent over emails or files that I've left on flash drives. But, a lot of my source files from the past year is gone. That's not even the worst part - a lot of my files that I've been building up for my final project for graduation was also lost and some of them were 100% digital which of course means that if I did not email it or save it anywhere else, then I'm fucked. Luckily, some of my work is still done with ink on bristol board, which I can scan back in. That was a major blow to start off the summer. I don't believe in omens and all that, but if I did, that woulda been a real bad omen!

Aside from that speed bump, the summer went by well and quick. For school, I worked with two great artists with two completely different styles. Unfortunately one of the them was diagnosed with cancer at the start of the summer semester so we had to adjust our schedules around his chemotherapy and appointments ~ some real eye opening shit ... kinda makes one think twice on how much stuff one should accomplish before moving on.

Anyways, work-wise I've been fairly busy these past few months. I think one of the more unique projects I was involved in was for Versus.com (http://www.versus.com/graphicnovel#) with Walden Wong, and Norman Lee. I did the pencils, Walden inked, and Norman colored - similar to a comic book production team. Deadlines were a pain, but overall it was fun and different (we worked on episodes 3,4,6,7, and 8)!

I'll post up some detailed processes of some of my recent works soon - but for now here's some images I did these past few months:





digital painting of Marco Polo for SPICE (Stanford Program on International and Cross Cultural Education)

digital painting of Vasco de Gama's ship for SPICE (Stanford Program on International and Cross Cultural Education)

digital painting of a seated buddha for SPICE (Stanford Program on International and Cross Cultural Education)

this was actually completed last year, but this plaque was finally produced and installed in Osaka, Japan in July 09 - client: San Francisco Osaka Sister City Association

unveiling of plaque in Osaka ~ wish I coulda been there!
pencil work for "Epic Cycle" on versus.com (http://www.versus.com/graphicnovel) - this segment was for episode 7pencil work for "Epic Cycle" on versus.com (http://www.versus.com/graphicnovel) - this segment was for episode 7

this segment was for episode 6

establishing shot of Monaco - this segment was for episode 6

- this segment was for episode 8

pencil work for "Epic Cycle" on versus.com (http://www.versus.com/graphicnovel)

establishing shot of an accident scene in episode 6

lance armstrong in the lead

pencil work for "Epic Cycle" on versus.com (http://www.versus.com/graphicnovel)

a canceled project ~ brown ink on toned paper


gouache on illustration board for Kazu Sano's narrative illustration class




digital illustration for Kazu Sano's narrative illustration class

ink on bristol board for Kazu Sano's narrative illustration class

ink on bristol board for Kazu Sano's narrative illustration class - concept was based on Hemingway's "A Movable Feast" - photo reference from Eugène Atget

ink on bristol board for Kazu Sano's narrative illustration class - concept was based on the song "Ohio" by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Add Imagedigital illustration for garment design for BMW Motorcycles of San Francisco